Who We Are
For over 30 years, the Spina Bifida Resource Network (SBRN) has been serving children and adults with spina bifida and other disabilities throughout NJ and beyond. We provide peer-led support groups and programs, educational and recreational events, financial assistance, resources and advocacy. Through our programs and events, we build supportive communities and empower individuals to increase knowledge, self-care, capabilities, independence and the ability to participate in school, employment and community activities.
The mission of the Spina Bifida Resource Network is to empower the lives of people with spina bifida, and promote the prevention of spina bifida, through advocacy, education, collaboration, public awareness, research and programs.
Our goal is to empower the lives of people living with spina bifida and other disabilities through:
- Peer-led Support Groups & Programs – We offer virtual and in-person programs and events coordinated and led by people with disabilities that provide tools, information and a sense of community.
- Educational and Recreational Events– We host accessible recreational events as well as educational conferences and retreats.
- Financial Assistance– We distribute financial support through our Jane Horowitz Special Medical Needs Fund and other funds to provide relief to those with excessive expenses or emergent needs.
- Spreading Awareness– We raise awareness of spina bifida at health fairs, community events and our annual Walk for Empowerment.
- Prevention– We educate the public about the benefits of folic acid and healthy eating for the prevention of birth defects such as spina bifida.
- Information & Resources– We disseminate educational information through our newsletter Empowerment Zone and online resources.