Who We Are
For over 30 years, the Spina Bifida Resource Network (SBRN) has been serving children and adults with spina bifida and other disabilities throughout NJ. We provide individualized services in the home and community, including care coordination, trainings by nurses, advocacy in the schools, financial assistance and educational and recreational events. Our services are not available through other resources and are not covered by insurance.
Our services are geared towards increasing knowledge, self-care, capabilities, independence and the ability to participate in school, employment and community activities.
The mission of the Spina Bifida Resource Network is to empower the lives of people with spina bifida and promote the prevention of spina bifida through advocacy, education, collaboration, public awareness, research and programs.
Our goal is to empower the lives of people living with spina bifida and other disabilities through:
- Family Support and Advocacy – We provide nursing and care coordination services to children, adults and families in their homes, schools, clinics and communities.
- Prevention – We educate the public about the benefits of folic acid and healthy eating for the prevention of birth defects such as spina bifida.
- Educational and Recreation – We host accessible recreational events as well as educational conferences and weekend retreats.
- Financial Assistance – We distribute financial support through our Jane Horowitz Special Medical Needs Fund to provide relief to families with excessive medical costs.
- Spreading Awareness – We raise awareness of spina bifida at health fairs, community events and our annual Walk for Empowerment.
- Information & Resources – We disseminate educational information through our newsletter Empowerment Zone, teleconferences and website resources.